Thursday, July 19, 2012

Weekly Craft: Tote to Backpack DIY

Hello friends!  I wanted to share with you how I did this craft so you can too!  It is super easy and ends up looking great!  Just as a heads-up, I really don't have great sewing techniques and I just took one step at a time and made it work.  If my instructions don't make perfect sense, or your tote is somehow different, I say just wing it!  I have learned a lot this way! (:

Supplies:
  • tote
  • paint (optional)
  • seam ripper/scissors
  • drawstring
  • safety pin
  • needle
  • thread
  • tape & cup (optional)


1. Get your tote and if you want, decorate it first! I will show you how I decorated mine:







 2. Cut the front strap of the tote off and unpick the squares left so you can thread your drawstring.  If the second strap is too long for a handle like mine was, unpick one side, cut it, and sew it back on with the desired length.



3. Attach a safety pin to the end of your drawstring.  Thread it through.  When you hit the sides that have been sewn together, just cut a hole on each side of the seam and go around it.



4. Use your seam ripper to make a clean, small, straight rip in the back for the straps (two on top, two on the bottom). Insert three of the scraps into the hole and tie them in a knot on the inside of your bag/ backpack.  Sew around the rip to make sure the hole does not get any bigger.  Braid the straps and insert the braid into the bottom hole and tie another knot. Be sure to make sure you like the length of the straps and sew this hole as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment